In this post, we discuss the Usage Tracking Content package, how it will benefit you, how to set it up on your system, and how to secure it.
What’s in the package?
The SAP Analytics Cloud Usage Tracking Content package contains four models and one story.
The models cover the domains of users, files, other objects and activities.
The story, called ‘SAC Content Usage’, contains three tabs:
- Story Information
- Model Information
- User Information
Story Information Tab
The Story Information tab displays the following charts:
- Top Story views
- Number of Stories created
- Stories created per user
- Story reads
- Story reads per user
- Stories per folder
Model Information Tab
The Model Information tab displays the following charts:
- Number of Models
- Models in use
- Models created per user
- Top Model reads per user
User Information Tab
The User Information tab displays the following charts:
- Count of active users over time
- Top most active users by login
- Top most active users by total activity
- Number of users per role
- Top object owners
- Number of teams
- Number of users per team
- Number of roles per team
- Number of activities per activity type
The four models contained in the Usage Tracking Content package is what allows you to connect to the backend of your system. Here’s a brief overview of each of the models:
- SAC Usage Activities — Information about users’ activities within SAP Analytics Cloud (from the System > Activities table)
- SAC Usage Files — Information about objects from the Files area of SAP Analytics Cloud. Can be linked to the Activities model using the Object ID dimension. It can also be linked to the Users model using the Created By User Id dimension
- SAC Usage Other Objects — Additional information about files and other object types, including dependencies. Can be linked to the Activities model using the Object ID dimension. It can also be linked to the Users model using the Created By User Id dimension
- SAC Usage Users — Information about users, roles and teams within SAP Analytics Cloud. Can be linked to the Activities model using the User ID dimension
Usage Content access and security
The SAP Analytics Cloud Usage Tracking Content package resides in the Content Library of the Files area. To access the Content Library, your user will need a role that has the Maintain privilege on Lifecycle. From there, you can find the package titled — ‘SAP Analytics Cloud Usage Tracking Content’.
Since the content contains sensitive information about users’ activities, private file names, metadata, and so on, we advise to keep the story in a Private folder. You can later share the story with whomever you choose to grant access to.
Since the models are public and can be accessed by all predefined roles in SAP Analytics Cloud, we have added an extra layer of security. Users will be able to see the data in the models only if they have a role that has Read privilege on Activities.
This means that users who do not have that privilege but have access to the models and/or the story, will not be able to see any data and thus no charts will render.
Importing the Usage Tracking Content package
To import the Usage Tracking Content package, please perform the following steps:
- Navigate to the Files area of the product
- Open the Content Library (you will need a role that has the Maintain privilege on Lifecycle to perform this step)
- Navigate to the Samples area in the Content Library
- Select ‘SAP Analytics Cloud Usage Tracking Content’
- Read the description and navigate to the Publishing tab
- This package is based on internal data, which means for it to work properly, the content needs to be up to date. In the “Publishing” tab under “Import Schedule”, please select “Automatically update new content”. This will ensure that the models show accurate data
- Under ‘Import Override Settings’, select ‘Import and Override Content’
- Select Import
For more information on performing these steps, please see our post — Access 3rd Party Business Content in SAP Analytics Cloud.
Once these steps are complete, the content will be automatically imported. By default, the story can be found in the Public folder.
Once you have successfully imported the Usage Tracking Content Package, secured it, and have explored it. The next thing you can do is share it with others in your organization.
You can also copy the story and add your own charts, tables or graphs to it. Use the models to answer any questions you may have about how SAP Analytics Cloud is utilized by your users. If you wish to make changes to the story, please copy it and then perform changes. This will ensure that if we have an update to the package, we don’t override your story.
Please ensure you have setup the correct model links as outlined in the figure below.
In future releases, we may update the SAP Analytics Cloud Usage Tracking Content package, in which case we ask that you import it again to make sure the models continue to work as expected.
With the SAP Analytics Cloud Usage Tracking Content package, you can leverage the full capabilities of SAP Analytics Cloud to analyze the usage of SAP Analytics Cloud within your organization.
Most issues can be fixed by deleting the models and story and importing them again from the Content Library. Make sure to select “Automatically update new content” as Import Schedule and also “Override objects and data” as Override Preferences.
This feature was released in version 2018.17 and the content was updated in version 2018.21. All customers that imported the content prior to version 2018.21 of SAP Analytics Cloud are asked to perform the above actions.
Other issues you might run into that require the same fix as above are errors like “Unable to retrieve data from data source”, or inconsistencies in the data.